So now I need to know what this discount is, nearly.
Buy the book version
Common Core Math For Parents For Dummies—a handbook for curious parents and others—is out now! Priced at under $10 on Amazon. The real Frustrated Parent has endorsed it. I am not making this up.
The Talking Math with Your Kids Store
You can buy tiling turtles, pattern machines and my book Common Core Math For Parents For Dummies, (with more items coming soon) at the Talking Math with Your Kids Store
- Carnival 150: Keeping Playful Math Alive – Denise Gaskins' Let's Play Math on It’s about understanding
- Carnival 150: Keeping Playful Math Alive – Denise Gaskins' Let's Play Math on A circular conversation with a 4-year old
- My Shape is Sam – Math Book Magic on The hierarchy of hexagons, continued
- My Shape is Sam – Math Book Magic on Classifying hexagons
- My Shape is Sam – Math Book Magic on The hierarchy of hexagons
What have people read recently?
Subscribe by RSS
Join 19,157 other subscribers
- Assessment (5)
- books (1)
- Connecting teachers (3)
- Courses (8)
- Curriculum (49)
- Diagrams and decorations (12)
- For further learning (1)
- Language (14)
- Launch (3)
- Lessons (20)
- Metaphors (3)
- News (43)
- Opinion (38)
- Presentations (4)
- Problems (math) (50)
- Problems (teaching) (41)
- Questions from middle school students (10)
- Questions from middle school teachers (6)
- Reflection (39)
- Talking math with your kids (76)
- Technology (15)
- The end of word problems (19)
- Truly unfortunate representations of data (9)
- Uncategorized (43)
Tags4 years old 5 years old 6 years old 7 years old 8 years old addition algebra algorithms borders calculus ccss CGI CMP college algebra common core counting curriculum data decimals developmental mathematics diagrams division division of fractions fractions functions geometry graphs Griffin groceries hexagons inverse iwb khan khan academy language lattice learning listening to students logarithms math math for elementary teachers math methods measurement middle school multiplication nature of mathematics nctm new york times number number language numeration online learning oreos ph place value probability problems professional development questions rate rates ratio ratios sharing standards systems of equations Tabitha TDI Technology twitter units video wcydwt wiggins word problems
Stuff I write
Support the work
I think we all want to know what Borders has in mind – do they give their special members a 40% discount or is the additional 10% taken off after the 30% on the remaining 70% of the price – lets see if my math is right – assuming $100 purchase because I’m lazy and that’s a pretty simple calculation for a lazy mathematician – let’s go with the additional 10% off the remaining balance of the cost – (because 40% off original price is really easy) –
30% of $100 = $70
take an additional 10% off the sale price for another $7 in savings – the special member price is $63 – that’s nearly 40% off!
Now I need a nap . . .
But Mary, if 46% is “nearly 47%” or sometimes “nearly 46%”, then I am not at all sure that 37% is going to be “nearly 40%”.
So now we know why Borders is no longer extant.